PDA

View Full Version : Let's have some fun!

theman440
07-17-2013, 02:29 PM
2360Here is a pic of the engine compartment of my convertible - I challenge all you DCR's to point out what is incorrect (there's a bunch) FYI - the car is a '66 Coronet 440, 383-4bbl / auto.

ws27
07-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Dimmer switch grommet?rofl

theman440
07-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Dimmer switch grommet?rofl

rofl No carpet...

67r/t4speeder
07-17-2013, 06:00 PM
I like this engine compartment it's tidy and clean. But OK wingnut, battery hold down, master cylinder, ignition, thingy in upper radiator hose, sticker on shroud ( I like it)http://www.dodgecoronet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2360&d=1357761997

theman440
07-17-2013, 06:40 PM
I like this engine compartment it's tidy and clean. But OK wingnut, battery hold down, master cylinder, ignition, thingy in upper radiator hose, sticker on shroud ( I like it)http://www.dodgecoronet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2360&d=1357761997
Wingnut - correct (you are)
Batt hold down - been rectified since photo.
Master cyl - yup, also the booster and bracket (74 Dart)
Ignition - yup, a manditory update if you are going to drive it (IMAO)
Thingy - funny story (well not reallly) I wanted to replace the rad hoses. The upper still had the Gates p/n on it. Got a new one - looks the same but won't fit. Bought another one from diff MFG, same issue and again from another still no fit!....F*****g junk parts! Had to do this to "get by" I have a repro hose now and will install later.
Sticker - from a Yale forklift, I thought it was cool too. The shroud actually came off my racecar, radiator too.

67440Dodge
07-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Where does one start???

Ok.. that shiny thing on the power steering pump hose.. If Ma Mopar intended to have that on there, they would have put it on there!!

Air cleaner.. Incorrect number of dimples for a 66.

orange spot on block near water pump housing.. obviously this was painted Chevy orange at one time during it's life..

theman440
07-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Where does one start???

Ok.. that shiny thing on the power steering pump hose.. If Ma Mopar intended to have that on there, they would have put it on there!!

Air cleaner.. Incorrect number of dimples for a 66.

orange spot on block near water pump housing.. obviously this was painted Chevy orange at one time during it's life..

Shiny thing - yup, an improvement to Ma's design (IMAO)
Air Cleaner - yup, I have the correct one for it though.
Orange Spot - did I tell you that story Mike?

Racer Brown
07-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Stock Volt reg and an electronic reg????????

67440Dodge
07-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Orange Spot - did I tell you that story Mike?

Nope!

BEAR R.-
07-18-2013, 11:31 AM
hi "theman440". new guy here.but already joining in.are all the things answered.?cause if not..how about your heater hose bracket.those on the firewall are usaually for the hemi.yours would be attached to the valve cover.?blue hoses too.should be black.?..Rad.cap.? power steering hose.?.don't know.am I right..lets see what else you got there.ill be back.God Bless.Bear R.-..ps..im not to familiar w/v8 accesories ..as I have a slant six in my 67 Coronet 440.im learning though..ha,ha..

67r/t4speeder
07-18-2013, 11:46 AM
"how about your heater hose bracket.those on the firewall are usaually for the hemi.yours would be attached to the valve cover" I was wondering about that bracket as on our `66 it is on valve cover but it's a poly 318, not a big block .

ws27
07-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Jeff, you have an AC water outlet, that is why you are having so much trouble. AC outlets are angled to the front and non AC are straight. The air cleaner is supposed to have a pie pan on it, so never came on a 66 B. PS cap is supposed to be painted. Blue ign wires, plastic wire holders. Is this an auto? You should only have one return spring peeking out. Coil nuts too shiny. (let's see how Mike takes this into the gutter LOL) Pos wire not red/ no harness?

67r/t4speeder
07-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Coil nuts too shiny ??rofl sucks when your nuts are too shiny:)

theman440
07-18-2013, 07:21 PM
hi "theman440". new guy here.but already joining in.are all the things answered.?cause if not..how about your heater hose bracket.those on the firewall are usaually for the hemi.yours would be attached to the valve cover.?blue hoses too.should be black.?..Rad.cap.? power steering hose.?.don't know.am I right..lets see what else you got there.ill be back.God Bless.Bear R.-..ps..im not to familiar w/v8 accesories ..as I have a slant six in my 67 Coronet 440.im learning though..ha,ha..

Heater Hose Bracket - good catch, incorrect for this car - should be on the valve cover.
Blue hoses - yes, but they have been on the car for 28 years! they are sillicone and will never go bad. It was brand new technology at the time of installation. I think they look good along with the matching plug wires.
Radiator Cap - yup, but this is no concurs car.
Somebody already pointed out the P/S return hose "thingy"

theman440
07-18-2013, 07:25 PM
"how about your heater hose bracket.those on the firewall are usaually for the hemi.yours would be attached to the valve cover" I was wondering about that bracket as on our `66 it is on valve cover but it's a poly 318, not a big block .

The big block cars have it on the valve cover too.

theman440
07-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Jeff, you have an AC water outlet, that is why you are having so much trouble. AC outlets are angled to the front and non AC are straight. The air cleaner is supposed to have a pie pan on it, so never came on a 66 B. PS cap is supposed to be painted. Blue ign wires, plastic wire holders. Is this an auto? You should only have one return spring peeking out. Coil nuts too shiny. (let's see how Mike takes this into the gutter LOL) Pos wire not red/ no harness?

I beg to differ on the outlet - my hardtop was a big block A/C and the outlet pointed towards the passenger fender. It had to because the A/C compressor was in the way. Yeah the air cleaner is way wrong - I have a correct 9 inch unsilenced one for it, I like the dual snorkle. The P/S cap is painted! (silver) supposed to be black huh? Yeah the wires are blue, yeah the positive cable is not red - got it from NAPA. I had bought a repro cable but it wouldn't work with the headers so I sold it, then I swapped to HP manifolds...duh! Shiny nuts? well if shaved the hair off I might be able to polish them up! Call me picky I like to keep the plug wires separated along the whole length. What harness are you referring to Rich?

Rich - as far as the springs go, the car is an auto. One spring is the throttle return and the other is for the kickdown linkage. Without the spring the K-D linkage will slide back and jack up the line pressure and keep the trans from shifting properly.

67r/t4speeder
07-18-2013, 07:53 PM
You guy's can put my engine compartment under the tent too if you want, course only after we are done judging Jeff's.
This is fun.

Shiny nuts rofl

67440Dodge
07-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Damn.. I know our plates are being watched, but now you guys are watching me use electric clippers now?!?!?

ws27
07-18-2013, 10:40 PM
I'll let Jeff and Mike talk about their nuts, but I believe the coil nuts came dull. (poor choice of words I'm sure). LOL I'll have to check my 66 on the water outlet Jeff. Having both 66 and 67 causes confusion in my already small mind. I guess I'm thinking of 67s because they came straight with non AC. My 66 vert has it's original outlet too. The harness I was referring to was the positive cable harness, it has not only the big positive, but a smaller one that goes to the starter relay and one from the starter relay to the starter. Again 66 might be a little different. Mopar painted the entire PS pump black and left the cap on. The cap was plated and the paint fell off quickly leaving what most people think is an original unpainted cap. On the kick down (officially called throttle valve) the return spring you are referring to goes from the actual carb linkage (where the throttle goes) , rear, to the first fulcrum at the rear of the intake. If you want a picture, I'll get you one. I'll have to get a pic of one of my cars too. Like Andy said, after we are done with Jeff...LOL.

theman440
07-18-2013, 10:48 PM
There are still a lot of incorrect incorrect things to point out

ws27
07-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Well, you are missing at least the windshield washer hose and possibly the entire bottle? Is the radiator aftermarket? I don't see where the right front brake line goes over the steering column. Overflow hose. Was that a CAP car, or did you just utilize the air cleaner knub? WW pump as well. That should be screwed to the right inner fender well. Hose clamps, shocks. Is that a washer under the right water outlet bolt? (sorry I keep looking at your water outlet) LOL Poor choice of words again...

67440Dodge
07-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Rich is fascinated with someone's water outlet..

Noted...

BEAR R.-
07-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Ok ..lets see here..i don't see a "washer bottle","the hoses",and "wrong battery" if this was the year 1966 that is but i'll go w/it."battery cables"."neg cable should be painted blue".?"wire going to the horns"?."electronic ignition box"?.. silicone hoses.wow..thats some vintage stuff right there gotta love it...take care and God Bless..Bear R.-

BEAR R.-
07-19-2013, 09:14 AM
now this is getting picky but neg battery cable should be under the bracket and painted blue.?aftermarket voltage reg...thanks Bear R.-

theman440
07-19-2013, 11:40 AM
I'll let Jeff and Mike talk about their nuts, but I believe the coil nuts came dull. (poor choice of words I'm sure). LOL I'll have to check my 66 on the water outlet Jeff. Having both 66 and 67 causes confusion in my already small mind. I guess I'm thinking of 67s because they came straight with non AC. My 66 vert has it's original outlet too. The harness I was referring to was the positive cable harness, it has not only the big positive, but a smaller one that goes to the starter relay and one from the starter relay to the starter. Again 66 might be a little different. Mopar painted the entire PS pump black and left the cap on. The cap was plated and the paint fell off quickly leaving what most people think is an original unpainted cap. On the kick down (officially called throttle valve) the return spring you are referring to goes from the actual carb linkage (where the throttle goes) , rear, to the first fulcrum at the rear of the intake. If you want a picture, I'll get you one. I'll have to get a pic of one of my cars too. Like Andy said, after we are done with Jeff...LOL.

Yes Rich the positive cable does have the secondary wire, you just can't see it.
A photo of the correct kick down set up would be nice Rich!

theman440
07-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Well, you are missing at least the windshield washer hose and possibly the entire bottle? Is the radiator aftermarket? I don't see where the right front brake line goes over the steering column. Overflow hose. Was that a CAP car, or did you just utilize the air cleaner knub? WW pump as well. That should be screwed to the right inner fender well. Hose clamps, shocks. Is that a washer under the right water outlet bolt? (sorry I keep looking at your water outlet) LOL Poor choice of words again...

Yup - the washer bottle, pump and hoses are absent, never been on the car in the 30+ years i've known it. I have aquired it all and will be installing them after I'm done with the interior.
Yup - it ia s CAP car.
Yup - shocks are Monroe Gasmatics, been on the car 30+ years.
Rich - that is not a washer it's the plug wire bracket.
As far as I know it is an original radiator.

theman440
07-19-2013, 11:58 AM
"Coil nuts too shiny" - I put a NOS Standard Motor Products coil on it because the old one was ugly. It was still in it's box, it was part of my Dad's stash of parts I found in his garage. Felt good to use it on his car.

theman440
07-19-2013, 12:02 PM
now this is getting picky but neg battery cable should be under the bracket and painted blue.?aftermarket voltage reg...thanks Bear R.-

The cable is supposed to be under the bracket ?

theman440
07-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Nope!

Originally my Dad was a Chevy guy, when he rebuilt the engine he painted it Chevy Orange. It had headers, Purple shaft cam, Torquer intake, 780 Holley Chrome air cleaner. In about 1985-86 we put a stock intake, carb and a stock 440 cam in it (It still hauls ASS!) At that time we half-ass painted it (in the car) the correct color you see here. It's still orange on sides of block and oil pan (shhhh don't tell anyone!) After the interior project, I plan to pull the engine, replace all the freeze plugs, reseal the pan & rear main, re-paint it.

BEAR R.-
07-19-2013, 12:44 PM
that's what mean "theman440'...I m being crazy picky here..umm.if im right,on the 440's and six packs they are, but this is a 383 so.I don't know.im prob.wrong though.so take care and God Bless.Bear R.-ps..sweet motor buddy very nice very clean.good job.!!

theman440
07-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Well, this car is and will not be a concours car. I plan to drive the hell out of it. I'm not one of those numbers matching/correct p/n/paint marker guys.

67r/t4speeder
07-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Well, this car is and will not be a concours car. I plan to drive the hell out of it. I'm not one of those numbers matching/correct p/n/paint marker guys.
Glad to hear it:cool:

67440Dodge
07-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Our next victim..

MAX

ws27
07-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Our next victim..

MAX

24342435For some reason, no offense to Jeff, I just can't seem to pick him apart. However, he-he, I do see a serious CARB violation...time to pony up some extortion money buddy...he-he-he.

67r/t4speeder
07-24-2013, 02:29 PM
It looks like one big violation from original to me rofl

theman440
07-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Andy - the road-draft tube is incorrect...;)

67r/t4speeder
07-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Andy - the road-draft tube is incorrect...;)
My fix for the large amount of blow by I am experiencing , hey it worked back in the 50s LOL

theman440
07-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Rich has it in for me - he pointed out my incorrect color steering pump cap but your whole pump is silver!

theman440
07-24-2013, 07:27 PM
I think one of those huge chrome Hemi air cleaners would look good on your car Andy, I wonder if it will fit?

67r/t4speeder
07-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Rich has it in for me - he pointed out my incorrect color steering pump cap but your whole pump is silver!

He just hasn't got up yet from his nap time. He gets cranky when there's no snow.

67r/t4speeder
07-24-2013, 07:47 PM
I think one of those huge chrome Hemi air cleaners would look good on your car Andy, I wonder if it will fit?

I did think of that but it won't fit right and I did not want to modify the original one I have. I keep looking for something more vintage to put on there, . These ones look like walmart specials to me .

theman440
07-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't know how good your fabricating skills are but baybe you could fab up a custom base and use your dual snorkel top? (if the diameter is big enough for both carbs)... I take it back, just remembered the air filter isn't big enough.

ws27
07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
He just hasn't got up yet from his nap time. He gets cranky when there's no snow.
I'll say I'm cranky, not only is it hot, but I've been forced to drive a Chevy... Who can blame me.

markz
07-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Heater hose strap...........

R/T XTC
07-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Did any one mention the Dual master cylinder?

theman440
07-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Who can tell me the part# of the air filter used on these big Dual Snorkel air cleaners?

67r/t4speeder
07-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Looks like it makes a difference if w/cap or not in `67 anyway w/cap#2463985 w/o cap #2402677

Racer Brown
07-31-2013, 11:56 AM
CA emisions!!!!!!!!!

theman440
07-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Both p/n's cross to a WIX 42043, Baldwin PA693 - thanks Andy.

theman440
08-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Question for all of you in regards to "incorrect" items (referring to this thread)

Is an item "incorrect" if it is a parts store bought replacement? - I say no.
On another note - I have no qualms about safety & reliability (brakes/ign) upgrades on a car that get's driven - what say you?

67440Dodge
08-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Lets put it this way... in 1966 if your convertible went to the dealer because the power steering pump went bad, do you think it sat there waiting for a date coded pump with the correct color palette cap to arrive from the warehouse? Nope, it got whatever the dealer could put on there to get it out the door, and that included going down the street to Jim-Dandy Auto Parts and getting it there.

The only time it makes a difference is if someone is selling a "100% period correct" restoration and demands a higher price than is the norm for that car. Then it better be correct voltage regulator, ballast resistor, etc etc

ws27
08-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Jeff, first it's your car. Do as you please.

The way I decide on my car is by my own standards. I like to be as close to stock looking as possible. But performance, part availability, and money do help decide for me as well. My cars have electronic ignition (and the only start retard is at the key!) but even with that mod, I try to hide it as much as possible. I've had Bill Evens make up harnesses for them with the electronic conversion wired right in so it looks stock. I then also request a 5 ft pigtal for the box so I can hide it under the battery. So you have to look really close to notice the two wire dist.

On your question, clear aftermarket parts aren't right if you are trying to go for the original look. However you can sometimes find rebuilt factory parts from aftermarket suppliers. It is hit or miss. And then what is original look? In my book, which is my opinion (remember, mine not others and not necessarily correct either) it's how it looked leaving the factory. Date code or not you can still have correct parts with the wrong date on them. And does it really matter? It's your car you are building for yourself, so if someone criticizes, just ask them for a few hundred thousand so you can correct the car to make them happy.

If I ever can get to it, my silver RT is going to be hard to classify as stock or modified. It's going to have a 496 stroker with a Tremic 5 spd, factory looking AC (with the boat anchor), and almost every option available at the time. Course, the car could never have been built as a standard trans with AC, and who has to know about the bigger internals and the Tremec. If I ever can get the thing done, it will cause quite a few conversations.

I should donate a picture of one of my GTXs here for everyone else to have fun with.

ws27
08-05-2013, 11:32 PM
OK, here is my blue car:

theman440
08-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Lets put it this way... in 1966 if your convertible went to the dealer because the power steering pump went bad, do you think it sat there waiting for a date coded pump with the correct color palette cap to arrive from thB-)e warehouse? Nope, it got whatever the dealer could put on there to get it out the door, and that included going down the street to Jim-Dandy Auto Parts and getting it there.

The only time it makes a difference is if someone is selling a "100% period correct" restoration and demands a higher price than is the norm for that car. Then it better be correct voltage regulator, ballast resistor, etc etc
I agree 100% Mike

67r/t4speeder
08-06-2013, 09:45 AM
I agree 100% Mike X2

67r/t4speeder
08-06-2013, 10:09 AM
http://www.dodgecoronet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2498&d=1368937457 Looks perfect to me Rich, # 7 plug wire not routed on valve cover but I wouldn't know if they came that way or not.

theman440
08-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Are those exhaust manifolds correct for a '67?

theman440
08-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Installed the wiper motor, removed the start & horn relays, cleaned & detailed the engine wire harness cleaned up parts of the firewall. Interesting note - the start & horn relays are the originals installed in Sept 1965 - 48 years old and they still work, just ugly.

ws27
08-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Those manifolds are correct for 67, I believe they are the originals. Andy the plug wires on the left side are supposed to go under the manifold even though the valve cover has a clip for one.

There are things wrong, maybe you guys need a better picture?

theman440
08-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Is the pie tin correct? - oops I now see it is a Plymouth.

theman440
08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
The hood insulation is not "moulded"

67440Dodge
08-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Wrong number of dimples on the air cleaner...

theman440
08-06-2013, 11:50 AM
...Mike and his dimples.

ws27
08-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Good catch Jeff on the hood insulation. I'm not sure if you can even count the air cleaner dimples in the picture. That is the air cleaner that came with the car when I bought it. Never checked.

theman440
08-11-2013, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=theman440;9264]2360since we are on the the topic of air cleaners, I'm contemplating putting this air cleaner on the car2531. I don't like the small UN silenced one it's supposed to have. This one would be more correct for a '66 - what do you guys think?

Does it have enough dimples Mike?

67440Dodge
08-12-2013, 08:19 AM
In order to correctly determine the number of dimples, we need to consult our resident expert on this.

At Carlisle he was having a discussion at his car, and the subject of the correct number of dimples came up.

When the panting and groaning started from people in the crowd, I figured it was time to leave...

67r/t4speeder
08-12-2013, 09:48 AM
rofl

67-500
08-28-2013, 06:45 PM
How about this one 67 500, 383 4bbl 7272673267426752676

Drag-Net
08-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Dist. it's has electronic ignition instead of points................ You are not making this easy.

ws27
08-28-2013, 10:54 PM
WOW That's one gorgeous engine bay.

But since you asked...the washer bottle is 68 and up. I've never seen a windshield wiper motor like that on 66 and 67s. The motor is usually half aluminum and half pressed steel. Doesn't mean it's wrong, just that none of my cars have that style. Also is the air cleaner correct, I've seen only the single snorkel of that style on 383 4bbl.

Can we see some exterior pictures of your car. I promise not to pick it apart, that is just in fun. Just going for the drool factor.

67-500
08-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Both the washer bottle and wiper motor are original to the car,as is the air cleaner;build date is June 26th 1967;there is one more incorrect item though.....

BEAR R.-
08-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Now how are we gonna pick on something that nice.ha,ha...gorgeous motor.wow..Radiator.?.God Bless..Barry.

theman440
08-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Wow - pretty engine bay, probably nicer than when new.

theman440
08-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Question - the wire for the washer pump - Should it follow along the engine wire harness (right VC) go down behind the alt and over to the pump or should it go across the firewall to the right inner fender and follow along the washer hose to the pump?

Drag-Net
08-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Lack of paint on engine oil dip stick tube???????????

67-500
08-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Nope,I'll help you guys out and tell you its on the engine itself(but may be hard to see in these pics);everything on the firewall has never been touched,with the exception of the added wire for the electronic ignition(including the paint) and the paint on the inner fenders from the shock towers down is still original(if you look under the master cylinder you can see some thin paint/light rust; the engine has never been out of this car

67r/t4speeder
08-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Wow - pretty engine bay, probably nicer than when new.X2

Racer Brown
08-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Lack of paint on engine oil dip stick tube??????????? Yea, I've always wondered about that, I never painted mine, Seems to me like I talked to Roger Gibson at one point and he said, "they were installed later after the motor was in, but I still don't really know.

theman440
08-30-2013, 04:46 PM
"the engine has never been out of this car" - did you paint the engine in the car?

67-500
08-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Roger is correct,the dipstick tube itself should be bare and the dipstick handle is painted engine color;supposedly the dipstick was laid in the intake valley when these engines were painted; and yes I did paint some of the block in the car,the removeable pieces like the intake,valve covers,etc. were all done when I replaced all the gaskets but that was back in 1997; it only has 50000 miles on it so when I freshened it up I had a pretty clean unmolested engine bay to start with(it still had the original points in it in 1996 at 45000 miles). I would have liked to leave it alone as a survivor but it had a lot of rusty bare metal on the valve covers and one thing led to another,but I left as much alone as I could.