PDA

View Full Version : troubleshoot...fuel issue.

BEAR R.-
09-24-2013, 08:01 AM
hi Guys and Gals..Barry here.like I said in my other post I have a fuel issue..i was gonna make like a trivia out of this thing but I need to get right to the problem here.at least try..67 Coronet 440 slant six...my Wife and I were drivin down the road when it suddenly just stopped running.it was getting gas but something was causing it to just die.well,i replaced the voltage reg.and coil and seemed to be fixed.no luck did it again..always around 5 or 6 miles out.just dies.well,now it wasn't getting any gas.very little so,i replaced the fuel pump.blew out the lines sending unit is clean.had a gasket leak there.bad gas leak. but fixed it..it died again..5 ,6 miles. out.always the same spot too.talk about weird..could it be the vent tube,gas cap has some chips out of the rubber.but why did it run w/the sending unit leak.if its an air/pressure leak..ok that's all I did.theres one other thing it could be other than gas cap,or vent tube. and im gonna let you all guess what that one thing COULD be. I hope to God its not the problem I think it is..but I will fix it....you guys will freak out if I told you what it possibly was..but maybe you wouldnt..you guys are good so just might nail it .I don't know..see ya..Barry...God Bless.
..oh ya im not selling my car any longer.that should make a few of ya happy.just couldn't do it.thats my other baby.ha,ha.

67r/t4speeder
09-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Being in Arizona I must ask how hot it was, vapor lock comes to mind here.

BEAR R.-
09-24-2013, 10:18 AM
75 80 degrees.im not keen on vapor lock.how does this happen.sorry for my stupidity ha,ha....ive driven this car in 100 degree wheather all summer.no problems.last year too.

ws27
09-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Barry, when it dies, does it still have no gas?

If the tank is not vented properly, you will hear a suction sound when you open the gas cap. So next time it dies, go straight to the gas cap and open it to see.

Also check for spark too. Are your gauges still on when it dies?

Keep us posted

65rbdodge
09-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I didn't see that you replaced the fuel filter so my guess would be a clogged fuel filter. you can find one that fits for about $3 at walmart.

thebankerstoy
09-24-2013, 06:14 PM
I didn't see that you replaced the fuel filter so my guess would be a clogged fuel filter. you can find one that fits for about $3 at walmart.

That's what I was thinking also Barry, especially since you mentioned that you had blown some compressed air through the fuel lines. You might have loosened up some gunk in the lines that wedged itself into the fuel filter which would then restrict fuel flow to the carb. The only thing that bothers me about that theory, is the fact that you say that the car seems to run just fine for the first five miles or so, so it your problem was a clogged fuel filter, it should run poorly from the get go.

My second thought would be that even though you mentioned that you've replaced the fuel pump, I've seen brand new fuel pumps be bad right out of the box, so if you purchased one of the pumps from a local parts store with an unknown manufacture, that could be the problem also.

I doubt that it's your gas cap, but if your fuel tank's metal vent line is plugged up, that might cause a problem. Did you run compressed air through that line as well? On all of the 1966 and 1967 B-Body cars (except possibly station wagons) there is one large rubber elbow hose that connects the upper and lower fuel tank filler tubes together and two smaller rubber elbow hoses that are attached to the metal fuel tank vent line. One is located at the top end of the vent line that connects the vent tube line to the fuel tank filler tube and a second one located at the bottom end of the metal vent tube line that connects the vent line to the fuel tank. If either one of those rubber elbow hoses are missing, or are damaged, that would allow dirt, or other foreign material to clog up the vent line and also allow gunk to get into the fuel tank and the rest of the fuel system.

Here's a picture of the aftermarket 1966-1967 rubber fuel tank filler tube and vent line elbow hose kit that various retailers sell. The large one is for the upper filler tube location and the two smaller ones are for the upper and lower metal vent tube line.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/thebankerstoy/My%201966%20Dodge%20Coronet%20500%202%20door%20har dtop/1966-67CoronetfueltankrubberelbowkitfromFirestoneCollec tibles-partFTEA.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/thebankerstoy/media/My%201966%20Dodge%20Coronet%20500%202%20door%20har dtop/1966-67CoronetfueltankrubberelbowkitfromFirestoneCollec tibles-partFTEA.jpg.html)

This picture shows the larger metal fuel filler tube rubber elbow hose on the left side and the smaller upper metal vent tube rubber elbow hose on the right side on my 66 Coronet 500 just before I changed them a few months ago.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/thebankerstoy/My%201966%20Dodge%20Coronet%20500%202%20door%20har dtop/1966Coronetfueltankfillertubeandfillertubeventline hosesattopoffillertubegoingintothetrunkopening3-closeup.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/thebankerstoy/media/My%201966%20Dodge%20Coronet%20500%202%20door%20har dtop/1966Coronetfueltankfillertubeandfillertubeventline hosesattopoffillertubegoingintothetrunkopening3-closeup.jpg.html)

It's a bit difficult to see, but that hose clamp that you see in this picture of my 66 Coronet 500 is attaching the lower rubber elbow hose to the bottom end of the metal vent tube line and the other end of the elbow hose is connected to the vent tube outlet on the fuel tank on the drivers side of the fuel tank.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/thebankerstoy/My%201966%20Dodge%20Coronet%20500%202%20door%20har dtop/1966Coronet500mainfueltankfillertubeventline-farrightsideofventtubeandfarleftsideofsmallrubbere lbowhoseandwormclampnexttofueltank1-1.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/thebankerstoy/media/My%201966%20Dodge%20Coronet%20500%202%20door%20har dtop/1966Coronet500mainfueltankfillertubeventline-farrightsideofventtubeandfarleftsideofsmallrubbere lbowhoseandwormclampnexttofueltank1-1.jpg.html)

I remember you saying that you had put the original two barrel carb back on the car not long after you purchased it. Did you disassembly the carb, clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner and then rebuild it with a carb kit?

Are you running the factory ignition system in your car, or has it been converted to an aftermarket electronic ignition system? If it's been converted to an electronic ignition set-up, I'd say check your ECU box to make sure that it's not having an issue.

Just asking some questions to help rule out various issues that you might be dealing with my friend.

Richard

BEAR R.-
09-24-2013, 09:25 PM
1st.its getting spark.2nd fuel filter new.vent tube is next but its all there no damage to it..Richard it looks a lot diff.than yours or the 66 I should say..could be clogged but I dought it.seems fine and very inclosed.but we'll check it..no gas to the carb once its hot/dies..i wait 15 min.or so and it starts up and 5 or 6 miles same thing again...if all these other things are fine..theres that one thing I told you it could be..cam shaft end play..can you believe it CAMSHAFT END PLAY.theres a bushing that will where out.and it will slide away from the fuel pump lever.i hope not and I don't think I will have to go that far.but its possible and ive heard of it w/the comp cam in a slant six not a good cam for the 6 ....oh its a 1bbl Richard..and yes Rich its getting spark.fuel filter is new..never had a problem w/fuel filters ever...well see ya soon.hopefullly it gets fixed w/out having to route to the cam..later..Barry.....God Bless.

ws27
09-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Barry, did you check to see if there is a vacuum in the tank right when it dies. Before you tear into the old reliable /6 it would be a shame to just have the tank in a vacuum. A strong pump will usually suck the tank bottom in, but just to be sure please check this first.

Rich

BEAR R.-
09-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Hi Rich good to hear from ya..for your question.not this time I didn't..forgot.but one of the other times.i believe it let air out when I popped the cap off.im great at sound effects but cant do that here.ha,ha.but yes I heard air come out not in..what does this mean Rich..please help. and hey Rich,.thanks buddy your a good man. and I appreciate all you've done for me from in the past to now..thank you...i pray The Good Lord shines favor on you Rich..prepare for a blessing my friend.im sure you receive your share of them.but this is a prayer from 'Me" to The Lord.for You, personally.!.and I get results buddy.guaranteed.!!.just watch for something out of the ordinary..ok..trust me..you are about to receive something special from the Man above.i don't know what but its coming..take care..Barry..thank you too Richard your such a great person and such a great help."the best"...and everyone here.all good folks..awesome folks..thank you..keep posted here people.hopefully we figure this out and it could help someone in the future.
PS.RICH.i don't understand the pump will suck the tank in..its steel hows it gonna collapse.it cant..theres is no evidence that the tank is collapsing..if that's what you mean..i don't get it..the tank looks great.tottaly normal.
RICHARD..the fuel filter is new.i was going to replace the fuel pump again.i just cant do anything till the 1st..this sucks.but im patient..ill wait.i bet it could be the fuel pump.already thought of that too.thanks buddy....keep in touch Richard..right here..also points.ignition look good.not sticking.but will check again..1bbl holley carb..im gonna blow air through the vent tube asap.

67r/t4speeder
09-25-2013, 09:58 AM
This will explain vapor lock Barry

Even if its not the problem it is interesting reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

ws27
09-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the prayers Barry. Please do me a favor and drive the car with the gas cap loose. See if it dies and let us know.

BEAR R.-
09-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi Rich..ok..lets see if I got this right..leaving the cap loose should prevent it from dying right..is this what your saying..and sorry Rich for the misunderstanding on the collapsible tank.i read this in my coronet manual finally.this actually happens wow.but anyway is this a test for the vent tube being clogged..Rich..lets say it still dies.what will this mean..lets say it doesn't die what does that mean..could you give me the answer for both tests/answers please...thanks buddy..God Bless ya..Barry....thanks a lot Rich..

BEAR R.-
09-25-2013, 05:38 PM
This will explain vapor lock Barry

Even if its not the problem it is interesting reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lockThanks Andy for this great web page man..really good info..i have it saved..thanks again Barry

ws27
09-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Barry, if the car still dies, the problem is not the tank, I'm concerned that the tank is not venting and after the 6 or so miles, the pump has pulled a vacuum on the tank because the gas used to drive is pulled from the tank, but air cannot get in quick enough. When you wait, air slowly seeps back in. So leaving the gas cap off should let all the air in that the tank wants.

I'm also thinking you just have a bad fuel pump. Do you know what the part number is? Get me a carter # if you can, I may have one on the shelf.

Rich

honcho
09-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Barry,as soon as the car dies,take air cleaner off and see if carb s leaking gas. Mine did this,(225/6) rebuilt carb many many times and kept leaking gas after 4 or 5 miles. Finally got hold of another carb (1 barrel) and runs like a charm. Sometimes carbs just wear out. If yours leaks gas,try rebuild kit,10.00 at autozone,I have the kit # if you need it,if it still leaks gas,you need another carb,I have a extra one and you can have it Todd

BEAR R.-
09-26-2013, 07:41 AM
1st off Rich I see what your saying w/the tank now..gotcha..i will do this.but I cant do nothing till I get a new fuel pump..and its not a carter.its a napa special.ha,ha..its been a year and that's all the warranty is good for..i think it could be fuel pump myself.now its not getting a good stream of gas to the filter..put a clear one on just to watch it....ok..Honcho/Todd thanks buddy...it does leak gas and I rebuilt it but I will accept the rebuild # anyways.its been a little while but not long .6 months maybe...now this only happens when it shuts down.not while its running.causing a smokey type vapor in the carb.like its flooding out.then it comes out onto the manifold..i wish I could buy your carb from you I need a new one for sure.well not new but a better one..i wouldn't have the money though for awhile..what do you need for it if I may ask..?.thanks guys.again,like I said im waiting to get a new fuel pump."i have to wait".till the 1st.then im going to a friends to blow out the lines vent the cap and install new pump.then see what happens from there.i do need a new carb though.its pretty old..original.too.thanks again..i will fill you all in.God Bless you all.Barry

BEAR R.-
09-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi guys/Gals..well,Rich..i have a story here while im waiting for the fuel pump.i just couldn't wait any longer to tell yo uRich.and Todd Richard ect.. .cause over the weekend I took the fuel lines and disconnected them.blew them out very dirty lots of sand but its been like this for awhile.but not good non the less.anyway got that done I pulled the sending unit out and guess what Rich.!!..there was aplastic bag stuck in the end of the unit.i believe this is the culprite..I will still test the gas cap thing when it gets the fuel pump installed.but I don't think it will be anything else but that piece of bag..and it wasent there long cause it wasent soft of detereating yet.it was fresh.no enimies but a nephew that gets mad very easy and when my dad was in the hospital for that brain surgery Wade stayed w/my wife and I for about a week.he got mad at me once and hes known for destroying things or even doing stuff like this.i cannot prove it of coarse and don't falsly accuse him but hes the only one that had access to it as I never leave it unattended.not lately anyway.but hey guys Rich,Richard ,Todd,and anyone else that has helped me.yo uwill know tonight or tomorrow at latest..can you believe it Rich..man,oh man...what a rotten thing this was.i went through 3 fuel pumps and no wonder wow..see you tonight I hope..God Bless you all..Barry....ps..hey at least I got the electrical done.the coil was bad.but I got the voltage reg.ballist res.among other things too.ect.but, it needed it all...sorry for the long note guys....gals....wow...Barry..

ws27
09-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Congrats Barry, sounds like you found the problem. Who woudda thunk!

BEAR R.-
09-30-2013, 08:57 PM
you know it Rich....if it wouldnt have got stuck in there.who knows how long I would've messed w/this thing.wow..cant wait to get goin...take care buddy Barry...God Bless ....

BEAR R.-
10-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Ok guys..got it running..like a top..wow it really runs good.gas cap in place even.no other issues so far..lets hope it stays that way..thanks for all your help..Richard your so great buddy..Rich.your the man too.thanks for the advice.wise advice.Todd thanks for offering up your carb..when you didnt have to..very cool of ya..man,that was great..thanks..and for all the others'help too..i really appreciate everything.again Richard thanks.i will take what yo udid for me and pass it on to another.asap..i had a brake problem going on but, got it fixed..im so happy..i did just miss The Run in the Pines.car show up here in Showlow Az.but truthfully I forgot it was happenin' and besides this needed done and then some.. so,we'll get em next year right by then it should be very road worthy....later everyone.and thanks again..God Bless ya all....Barry

thebankerstoy
10-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Ok guys..got it running..like a top..wow it really runs good.gas cap in place even.no other issues so far..lets hope it stays that way..thanks for all your help..Richard your so great buddy..Rich.your the man too.thanks for the advice.wise advice.Todd thanks for offering up your carb..when you didnt have to..very cool of ya..man,that was great..thanks..and for all the others'help too..i really appreciate everything.again Richard thanks.i will take what yo udid for me and pass it on to another.asap..i had a brake problem going on but, got it fixed..im so happy..i did just miss The Run in the Pines.car show up here in Showlow Az.but truthfully I forgot it was happenin' and besides this needed done and then some.. so,we'll get em next year right by then it should be very road worthy....later everyone.and thanks again..God Bless ya all....Barry

Great to hear all is well with your Coronet my friend and I'm also happy to hear that the fuel pump arrived to you. Enjoy driving the car and maybe a locking gas cap is in your future to keep any other foreign material from finding it's way into your fuel tank. ;)

Richard

ws27
10-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Nice to have that problem in the tail lights Barry.

Hope all stays well,

...and may "things" stay out of your gas tank in the future...LOL

You kept a great attitude through out it all. I would have invented a few new words, lost a few tools, and had a few choice things to say to a certain relative!!

BEAR R.-
10-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi Richard.yes it arrived and all is well I owe you so much.but listen to this story 1st...Hi Rich.. I do believe i did invent a few new words.ha,ha..i just have to have them patented and put into the newest dictionary if they allow that stuff.ha,ha..no,just kidding.BUT,you know what though Rich..im very surprised I did have the attitude I had..cause it wasnt nice let me tell ya...check this out.. it was such a problem that last night..the night..i dreamed that we got it fixed and that it did it again.it died on the way home from the store..this time in my dream though it was loaded w/baggies.ha,ha..like 10 of em...im actually dreaming this crap..well,more like nightmares..ha,ha..and get this.in my dream too last night id get it fixed and flushed out and more would just appear and then I would have to go through the whole thing again.i was even sitting out there guarding it and they still got in there..by the time I woke up I was wore out. I mean I was really was beat when I woke up...like I worked a 10 hr roofing job or somthing..ha,ha..well better go..lets hope it dosent die or I will shoot it dead....ps...I should get one of those big clear disposable car covers you know those big giant plastic bags you cover your car with..ya..that's what I need.anyway I gave my car a new name.it's called......."ziplock"..

67r/t4speeder
10-02-2013, 09:48 AM
ziplock LOL

thebankerstoy
10-02-2013, 01:40 PM
You know Barry, I have similar dreams my friend. The difference is that my dreams are about 66 and 67 Coronet parts located inside of plastic zip-lock bags which are then stored inside of red topped plastic storage bins. The worst part of the dream is that I keep hearing something, or someone rummaging through all of my storage bins and every time that I dream that I go out to see what's going on, I keep finding out that it's Rich going through those bins and loading my parts into a huge Dodge box truck with out of state license plates! VERY weird and scary indeed! rofl

Richard

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/thebankerstoy/My%20Garage%20And%20Shed%20Pictures/10footx20footMoparpartsstorageshed.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/thebankerstoy/media/My%20Garage%20And%20Shed%20Pictures/10footx20footMoparpartsstorageshed.jpg.html)

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/features/news/2011/163_news110623_2012_ram_range_detailed/32231902+w799+h499+cr1+ar0/2012-ram-5500-chassis-cab-box-truck.jpg

Racer Brown
10-02-2013, 03:59 PM
rofl!!

Hibbing_Coronet_500
10-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Wow!
A plastic bag in the fuel tank? I bet that puppy loved being sucked into that fuel sock.
Gotta add forigen object in tank to my list of suspects.
Glad there's a happy ending!