PDA

View Full Version : VIN and VON identification 1967 Coronet

1967 R/T
02-09-2013, 07:26 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 1967 Coronet R/T and am not failure with Mopar VIN's etc. I know VIN plate on the Driver inner fender well but as I understand there is a VON also and it is stamped on the front radiator support? and driver rear weather strip extension on the or underneath the weather strip?

This car is missing the VIN plate, but has the numbers on the radiator support. I hope I can figure out how to imbed a picture of this here so you can look at.

The owner had purchased this 12 years ago from Utah and had someone do some body and paint on this and the guy removed the plate. The person who is selling this had a real bad experience with this body guy and had to come get his car back. He is now exhausted from all this and 12 years older and just wants to sell the car and move on to riding a bike into retirement.

He said he had traced the VIN plate on paper with a pencil before sending to this body shop and has it in a Chilton's book yet to be found, but he says he will find it.

I researched the title and insurance VIN and it matches the car exactly, but I understand there is a VON that is stamped on the plate and the radiator support and rear weather strip extension.

Is this correct? Please check out this number on the radiator extension and if someone could tell me anything from it I would appreciate it.

I would guess if the VIN and VON were on this traced paper and it matches the title and the radiator support it may be all true.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Chuck</SPAN>

67440Dodge
02-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Chuck, 99% sure the VIN was not put in the trunk until 1968. For 1967, The fender tag doesn't contain the VIN for the car either, that's just trim, engine, build date and shipping order. The only place I know where the VIN is located is on the plate on the drivers side door jamb.

What you're seeing on the radiator support is the build date (C19) (12/19/1966) and the Shipping Order (08215)

Racer Brown
02-09-2013, 11:18 PM
What Mike (67440dodge) said, but that kind of thing always scares me. Oh, do you have a fender tag for this car??

1967 R/T
02-10-2013, 03:43 AM
Thanks Mike (67440Dodge) and Racer Brown,

So the only place the VIN is located is on the door jamb VIN plate. No stamping anywhere on the vehicle? I looked the door jamb over real good and did not see a plate or stamping or any numbers at all. I did not even see holes where a plate may have been. How are these plates mounted? Does anyone have a picture of the plate on the door jamb?

It does have a Cirticard? Not knowing much about this card we looked at it first thing and do remember the first few letters on the card but did not know at the time the relation it would have with the VIN? Looking back I think it did have the VIN, problem is that could have been transferred over also I believe.

You know the shop that did the car had done a real good job on it, they stripped it down completely and media blasted the car and painted it top to bottom, underneath every nook and cranny. It is just sad as this guy took everything off and now these plates are lost.

Outside the box question, if someone did a history and there was documented trail of owners etc, and there was no lien’s anywhere can a VIN plate be made? It’s sad there is no other area that the body itself was not stamped.

Racer Brown I do not have the fender tag, like everything else it was taken off. This car was media blasted and painted and then the block cracked when it was outside and for 12 years never hit the road.

Wish there was something to tie this all together</SPAN>

67440Dodge
02-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Chuck,

Open the driver door and look above where the switch is goes for the dome light. That's where the VIN tag is on a 67 (and 66).

The Certicard should have the VIN on it, but that's something that can easily be transferred from one car to another (and it's not a legally binding document).

Unless the current owner can get you the plate, there is no way to legally put a Chrysler Corp VIN tag back on the car. The only thing that can legally be done is the current owner can apply for a state VIN to be assigned to the car.

1967 R/T
02-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks for responding Mike,

Geeezzz, that plate you can't miss. It's not there. I would have seen that a mile away.

Okay, so the Certicard does not have the build date or order number that is on the radiator support, not good.

If the owner does apply for a state VIN how much do you think it devalues the car?

What a waste, its a really nice car. To bad a irresponsible shop owner put him through this.

67440Dodge
02-10-2013, 12:06 PM
What would help is if the owner could get a copy of the IBM punch card. That will have some of the information that is on the rad support and the VIN, so he'd be able to correlate that this car is indeed what the title says it is.

How would a state VIN affect the value? Most definetely hurt it. How much? no one knows..

67r/t4speeder
02-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Is it possible to get back to the body shop and hunt down the tag, probably just laying in a tool box of a worker?

67r/t4speeder
02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Chuck, 99% sure the VIN was not put in the trunk until 1968. For 1967, The fender tag doesn't contain the VIN for the car either, that's just trim, engine, build date and shipping order. The only place I know where the VIN is located is on the plate on the drivers side door jamb.

What you're seeing on the radiator support is the build date (C19) (12/19/1966) and the Shipping Order (08215)
Just looked at mine and it starts with a 71, any idea what that part means? I notice Chucks is a 75

1967 R/T
02-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi Mike,

Is the IBM punch card the plate on the driver fender well? If it is the owner did trace it with pencil on a sheet of paper and put it into a Chilton's manual. but he said that body shop owner has it. We will see.

67r/t4speeder,

The owner of the body shop called the owner of the car and told him he had two hours to get the car out as someone was sutting the business down. He does have his number and has contacted him before (small town) but he said he does not have the VIN plate or fenderwell tag. He is going to call the guy to find out about the Chilton's manual.

Just thinking, I wonder if the plate is in that Certicard holder? I will have to call.

Chuck

1967 R/T
02-10-2013, 01:44 PM
67r/t4speeder,

Pismo Beach, I used to clam dig there. Cali native, left in 1985 when I was 26.

67440Dodge
02-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Hi Mike,

Is the IBM punch card the plate on the driver fender well? If it is the owner did trace it with pencil on a sheet of paper and put it into a Chilton's manual. but he said that body shop owner has it. We will see.

No.. the punch card is what was used to build the car with (it's what created the build sheet and what the car was built from). I believe Chrysler still has them for the 1967 model year. Some here have gotten theirs from Chrysler, they'll have to chime in to say how they got them.

I have a feeling if the owner pencil outlined the VIN tag and put it in the Chilton manual, once they find that Chilton manual they may find the VIN tag, fender tag inside it as well.

67440Dodge
02-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Just looked at mine and it starts with a 71, any idea what that part means? I notice Chucks is a 75

Mine is 77 I'm thinking first digit is the last one of the model year (7) and the second is the assembly plant (7- St Louis) which matches my VIN.

So you got a Lynch Road car, and Chuck is looking like it's an LA car.

I'm also gonna take a guess and say the car he's looking at is a 440 auto car with air, green in color.

How close am I?

67r/t4speeder
02-10-2013, 02:28 PM
You can get a punch card for `67 on back not sure how far, but you have to have proof of ownership to get it.
Danielle Szostak-Viers at the Chrysler Historical Collection is VERY helpfull with this.

1967 R/T
02-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Your right on Mike. 440, 727 trans, PS, PB, A/C, 8-3/4 3:55 gears, Green like a aqua color. Buckets. 500 magnum wheels. Yes, it is a LA car and I noticed on the Certicard it said "Ontario, CA" I'm not sure if that was the desination or what? The speedo says 26,XXX on it.

1967 R/T
02-10-2013, 02:53 PM
You can get a punch card for `67 on back not sure how far, but you have to have proof of ownership to get it.
Danielle Szostak-Viers at the Chrysler Historical Collection is VERY helpfull with this.

Thanks Andy,

I will look into this, great information guys! Thanks

67440Dodge
02-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Your right on Mike. 440, 727 trans, PS, PB, A/C, 8-3/4 3:55 gears, Green like a aqua color. Buckets. 500 magnum wheels. Yes, it is a LA car and I noticed on the Certicard it said "Ontario, CA" I'm not sure if that was the desination or what? The speedo says 26,XXX on it.

Nicely optioned car...

That means the original owner lived in Ontario, California. it should also have their name and address as well.

Aqua green?? hmmm.. I got a VIN tag lying around for a 67 Aqua green car... If you drink lots of whiskey, I'll guarantee the first 4 letters will go from WL41 to WS23 :)

ws27
02-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Remember removing the vin tag is a federal offense. They are secured with special vin tag rivets which is also illeagal to even posess. Not trying to scare you, but be careful of who you tell because once that is officially documented you will have no choice but to let the state issue your car a new vin which will drastically reduce the value. Itk's value is because the vin starts with WS23L7.

If you want to tell if the car is actually a real RT, check inside the trunk, RTs were the only 2dr HT the did not have any side trim. What you are looking for is any signs of repair to the quarter panel for filling side trim holes. If someone is real good and sneaky, they will do a good job hiding them in the trunk. How ever it's difficult to repair the holes on the inside cleanly above the wheel well. You might even look in the wheel housing area too. The only exception is if the quarter was replaced on a real RT you will mose likely have holes, but a good eye can tell a quarter replacement.

Don't know the car, but it sounds real nice

Good luck.

69Coronetrt
02-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Mine is 77 I'm thinking first digit is the last one of the model year (7) and the second is the assembly plant (7- St Louis) which matches my VIN?

FWIW....

Racer Brown
02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Hard to belive someone would pull this stuff off and not put it back on!!

1967 R/T
02-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Hello again,</SPAN>

More on this story: The gentleman found the guy from the body shop and there is still a disagreement with how had the fender and VIN tags. The shop owner said he does not have it, but did have the Chilton’s manual and inside they did find the paper with the traced fender and VIN tag but no tags anywhere to be found.</SPAN>

The owner found someone that will make a fender tag for $150.00 but they will not make a VIN tag which no one will.</SPAN>

I followed up with what Mike and Andy said and researched the Chrysler Historical Collection and downloaded the form and talked with him about this. I left him know that I will pay for this but he will have to submit it since he is the owner.</SPAN>

My question to you guys, If the IBM punch card is located there and the numbers on the card match the radiator support and VIN with all the options on that traced fender well tag will this be enough for someone to be good with purchasing the car? </SPAN>

I mean I would like to get this car and finish it and when I am doing playing with it I would like to sell it. I just don’t want to be stuck with a devalued car and have all my money into it. </SPAN>

The owner is the third owner, his brother was the second and its been in the family for 23 years. The purchased it from the original owner. I know I can get past pictures of the car and with a little research find the original owner possibly. </SPAN>

If the card comes back no match I will not touch it and if there is no card I will not touch it as it is suspect even with all the documentation. No one will pay top dollar for the car with out it, but with the punch car will they pay top dollar?</SPAN>

Just a bit frustrated,</SPAN>

Chuck</SPAN>

67440Dodge
02-13-2013, 09:24 AM
IMHO, no.. people won't pay top dollar for the car even if it had the punch card. (it's actually a photocopy of the original).

It sounds like a nice car, but I'd walk away from it.

Racer Brown
02-13-2013, 10:29 AM
What Mike said, that's a big cloud over that car, I wouldn't care how much paperwork you had on that, I wouldn't buy it without a VIN plate. Did someone remove the VIN plate and fender tag to rebody, see you don't know! Sit tight, there's other stuff out there, maybe even here!!

thebankerstoy
02-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Without a VIN tag in place, you will not be allowed to license and register the car in your name, so you will be forced to get a state issued replacement VIN number IF you can prove your case on why the original factory installed VIN tag is missing to your local DMV. I will also say that it's my opinion that in most all cases, this issue will severely hurt the value of the vehicle as far as collectors are concerned. As mentioned, it is illegal to remove, or replace a vehicles original factory installed VIN tag, so this problem has no fix other than getting the state issued VIN. I have personal experience with this type of problem with a 1970 440 Six Pack, 4 speed, Dana equipped Ciuda that I purchased with my brother-in-law back in 1979 that has a state issued VIN number. That's an involved story that I won't bore you with here, but the cars collector value was pretty much voided by this issue.

A collector vehicle purchased without a title isn't nearly as risky as a collector car purchased without it's factory installed VIN tag and fender mounted option code tag plate. Unless you're going to purchase this car for a VERY good price and you want the car because you really like it, I'd recommend passing on it. If you're only going to purchase this car as an "investment", then you're going to have issues recouping your money.

Some here will disagree with my opinions and that's fine, but I'm looking at this situation as if it was my money being spent and honestly, if that was the case, my money would stay in my bank account. If this problem was easy to fix, this cars current owner would have fixed the problem twelve years ago right?

Richard

Rayh1967
03-17-2013, 03:29 PM
are you still interested in purchasing a 67 R/T? I am thinking about letting mine go to fund another project. It is an original California car, AA1 silver with dark blue bucket interior. I redid this car about 10 years ago. I consider it a really nice driver but others think it is nicer than that. Drop me a line email if interested. Take care

Racer Brown
03-18-2013, 11:27 AM
are you still interested in purchasing a 67 R/T? I am thinking about letting mine go to fund another project. It is an original California car, AA1 silver with dark blue bucket interior. I redid this car about 10 years ago. I consider it a really nice driver but others think it is nicer than that. Drop me a line email if interested. Take care Some pics???????

Rayh1967
03-24-2013, 08:48 PM
they are in my photo album

Racer Brown
03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
they are in my photo albumNice looking ride!