Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: EZ Efi 1.0 upgrade

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member Mark's 69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    St. Marys, PA
    Posts
    451

    EZ Efi 1.0 upgrade

    So late last year I took advantage of the opportunity to purchase a used EZ Efi 1.0 set up for less than half the price of new. With the help of Mike, I made up my list of parts needed to completely replace the fuel system. With cost savings vs. reliability in mind I bought the following items. Tanks Inc. fuel tank direct replacement built for in tank pump, pump, sending unit, short sections of flexible line, hard line, fittings, clamps, fuel filter, and Aeroquip regulator and gauge. On the electrical side I went with Mike's suggestion of an alternator upgrade and got a Powermaster 100 amp unit. The MSD distributor he uses was a little expensive so I purchased a Summit CD ignition box. ( Fast sells a coil adapter for the tach signal but strongly suggests an ignition box for a clean signal.) I also needed misc. wire and some relays and fuse holders.
    I started by changing the ignition and test firing the engine with the carburetor to eliminate it as a source if the engine didn't fire with the fuel injection installed. After swapping out the tanks I ran into my first hurdle, kinked lines. I learned from Google that filling them with sand prevented kinks and it worked like a charm. I made the line in two sections and getting the sand out of the second half that I had to complete on the car was a real bear.
    The installation was pretty straight forward but time consuming. I made up a nice mount for the ignition and ECU only to read in the manual that the ECU should be at least two feet away from electrical noise like ignition boxes, D'oh! I ran into an issue with voltage fluctuation but with advise from some of the folks here and some trouble shooting that is no longer a problem. On its maiden voyage it was laying over really bad when accelerating. I knew there was a learning period but it wasn't getting much better after a couple rides. The manual led me to an adjustment that is basically an accelerator pump and one change made a world of difference.
    I haven't had many chances to drive it with work, weather, and PennDot putting tar in the cracks of the highway I live on but I was quite happy with the last ride. I can't wait get it tuned in completely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark's 69; 05-05-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •