Thread: Album & CD Cover Artwork

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Male Gigolo In Training thebankerstoy's Avatar

Album & CD Cover Artwork

Those of us who are old enough to remember being able to walk into a record store and spend a considerable amount of time looking through row after row of all of the albums also remember how cool it was to see all of the cool album cover artwork and on a smaller scale, CD's can be included also. I thought it might be fun to post pictures of some of those cool album covers and CD covers here on the DCR music forum. I own a copy of each of the albums that I will list in this thread in either the original vinyl or CD format unless otherwise noted, so if anybody has any questions about the album covers or the albums themselves, please let me know.

Richard

Black Sabbath - "Black Sabbath" album. Their first album and one of my all time favorite album covers!

Cream - "Wheels Of Fire" album. The original release of this album had the cover done in a foil finish.

Rolling Stones - "Their Satanic Majesties Request". The original release of this album had a plastic hologram picture of the band and a fold out cover as shown below. Later releases of this album did not have the cool hologram on the cover.

Gentle Giant - "Octopus" album. This is the U.K. version of this album cover.

Gentle Giant - "Octopus" album. The U.S. version of this album cover.

Sarah Brightman - "Dream Chaser" album. I have this in a CD format.

The Who - "Quadrophenia" album. I purchased a copy of this double album as soon as it was released and found out after I got it home that it also included a very cool booklet inside as well. This booklet is shown below the album cover photo.

Nektar - "Down To Earth" album. A cool cover and a cool album!

Jethro Tull - "Thick As A Brick" album. I have a copy of this album with the fold out cover that looks like a daily newspaper.

Kansas - "Kansas" album. Cool artwork and colors used that really made this album cover stand out in the record bins! A darn fine album as well!

King Crimsion - "Court Of The Crimson King" album. This album cover is very cool yet disturbing all at the same time!

Leon Redbone - On The Track" album. A very cool album cover and an equally cool album!

Forest Stream - The Crown Of Winter" album. I don't own this album yet, but I'm looking for it on Ebay. A cool cover and a great album!

For some unknown reason, nobody seems to take me seriously............

Prophetic ?

Iconic. Seems like just about everyone had this album.

You can still find something new every time you look at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes sir, the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's album cover is very interesting indeed!

A few more from my vinyl and CD collection.

Richard

The Moody Blues - "Days Of Future Passed" album. A cool album cover and a brilliant album and one of my favourite albums of all time! I first bought this album in 1967 and have been purchasing it in various formats ever since!

The Moody Blues - "Seventh Sojourn" album. Another cool M.B. album cover and another fantastic album!

Jefferson Airplane - "Crown Of Creation" album. Includes the track "Lather" which is one of my favourite J.A. songs!

Spartacus - "Triumirat" album.

Meat Loaf - "Bat Out Of Hell" album. A cool album cover and a fantastic album as well!

Message - "From Books And Dreams" album. I don't own a copy of this cool album, but I will one of these days.

The Eagles - "Hotel California" album.

A few more fantastic albums with cool covers.

Richard

Elton John - "Elton John" album. This album cover is striking because it shows Elton before all of the glitz and showmanship that would follow in later years. This album also has some great tracks on it such as "Your Song", "Sixty Years On", "I Need You To Turn To" and "Take Me To The Pilot" among others.

Renaissance - "Renaissance" album. This album was offered by the bands original line up including the following members:
    Keith Relf - vocals, guitar and harmonica
    Jane Relf - vocals, percussion
    Jim McCarty - vocals, percussion
    John Hawken - piano, harpsichord
    Louis Cennamo, bass guitar

10cc - "The Original Soundtrack" album. One of my favourite 10cc albums that contains fantastic tracks such as "I'm Not In Love" and "Une Nuit A Paris"
    ("One Night In Paris")

Weather Report - "Heavy Weather" album. Some will say that this album is one of their more commercialized albums, but it has the track "Birdland" on it which is one of my favourite Weather Report tracks, so it will always remain in my collection.

Last edited by thebankerstoy; 05-22-2016 at 08:52 PM.

I thought that I'd add a few more of the cool vinyl album covers that I have in my collection that maybe some of you remember.

Richard

The Alan Parsons Project released this very cool album cover on their album titled "I Robot". One of my favorite albums of theirs!

I still remember the first time that I saw the first Led Zeppelin album and how it jumped out at me with it's lack of color and such an intense picture of the Hindenburg on fire and going down! We also all know how good the music is on this album!

This cool album cover was released by a band called Family and the album is titled "Bandstand"

This fantastic album cover was released by Camel and the album is titled "I Can See Your Home From Here". Just a fantastic band indeed!

Supertramp's album "Breakfast In America" was another great album with a cover that really jumped out at you in the record stores!

Last edited by thebankerstoy; 05-22-2016 at 09:45 PM.

I was the first... 67r/t4speeder's Avatar
    Very creative artists
    The Idaho Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 67r/t4speeder View Post
    Very creative artists
    Absolutely Andy!

When vinyl albums went away for the most part when CD's came out and then seeing CD sales really slowing down the past few years, I was worried that this kind of fantastic artwork was dying a certain death, but there's been a new resurgence in vinyl album sales the past few years so there's still hope!

Richard